Recipe by Heidi Ross
Amounts are approximate
- 2-3 cups of baby tomatoes (try sun gold and cherry)
- 1 small head, or half a large head of garlic (try music box garlic)
- Olive oil (about 1 cup)
- About 2 cups of basil leaves
- A handful of almonds
- 2-inch chunk of Pecorino Romano cheese
- The zest of one lemon
- 1 LB of good quality long pasta (Heidi likes to use Pici pasta)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel the garlic and place on a cookie sheet lined with foil with the baby tomatoes. Generously sprinkle the tomatoes and garlic with olive oil (make sure each piece has olive oil on it), add salt and pepper to taste. If the tomatoes are large, halve them.
- Put the cookie sheet in the oven and roast until the tomatoes start to turn golden brown on top.
- Boil salted water for pasta. Cook pasta until al dente and drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- In a food processor, grind the cheese, almonds and lemon rind into a coarse mix. Add the basil (you may have to add it half at a time), depending on the size of your food processor. Slowly pour in ½ to ¾ cup of olive oil as the basil mixes. Stop processing when it is a moderately course texture.
- Pour the pesto into a large pasta serving bowl, add salt and pepper.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the pesto and ½ cup of the reserved pasta water. Add the additional ½ cup of water if needed.
- Serve with the roasted tomatoes and garlic on top of the pasta with grated pecorino.
- Server immediately and enjoy!