You’re pretty meticulous when it comes to your garden. Your soil is rich, your plants are neat and you even manage to keep the garden relatively free of weeds. Okay, so maybe not so much on the weeding.
Then you wake up one morning, trek out to enjoy the morning dew on your ripening veggies and see mushrooms popping up where you never planted a mushroom at all! What gives? And did tiny evil garden gnomes come into the garden overnight and plant these mushrooms? What’s more, what do you do about them?
The good news is that it is completely normal to see mushrooms pop up from time to time. It happens most often in soil that is rich with wood matter, or in gardens that are well-mulched with wood. These mushrooms don’t know that they don’t belong in your garden, because they are born of fungi that eats the rotting wood, helping to break it down into compost.
You can pull up these mushrooms and dispose of them without concern, but you really don’t even have to do that. They are quite delicate and will usually break down on their own rather quickly. It is not recommended that you try to eat any mushroom that you find unless you are absolutely certain of its type. Many mushroom varieties are poisonous and experience in identifying them is the only sure way to know whether your mushrooms are poisonous or not.