Laura Klein of Organic Authority shares her fabulous salad with us. Enjoy!
This is a simple salad that is full of bold flavors. The bright, lemon paired with the salty cheese, against peppery and slightly bitter lettuces allow these flavors to stand on their own.
Most of these ingredients with the exception of the cheese can be found at many local and organic farmers markets during the summer months.
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz organic arugula, washed, tough stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces and chilled
- 1 small head of organic radicchio, 6 whole leaves removed and washed and chilled
- 1/4 cup raw pine nuts
- 1 basket of organic red and yellow cherry tomatoes, washed and halved lengthwise
- Pecorino Romano cheese
- Whisk olive oil and lemon juice together in a medium bowl. Add salt and pepper and whisk until combined.
- Toss arugula, pine nuts, and tomatoes in a medium bowl with vinaigrette.
- Place a whole radicchio leaf in the middle of a chilled salad plate. Place one serving of the tossed arugula salad in the center of the radicchio leaf.
- Shave pecorino romano cheese over the top of salad using a vegetable peeler to taste and serve.
Chef’s note: Use as many organic ingredients as possible for optimum flavor and health benefits.