It’s Victory Garden time! There’s no better time to start a garden than NOW, during the Coronavirus pandemic. Take control of your food source, enjoy the sun and get your hands a little dirty.
Starting your first vegetable garden can be intimidating at first. But fear not, we’re here to guide you and make it as easy as possible. The most important thing to remember is to start small, don’t overwhelm yourself with a large space at first.
First Gardening Steps:
- START SMALL – no larger that a 2×2 garden or raised bed
- LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION – pick a spot that is close to where you spend most of your time in your home. If your garden is not in view or “far away,” you won’t be as inclined to remember to care for it. Make it easy and convenient, put your garden practically under your nose!
- SUN – You need at least 6 to 8 hours of sun.
- CONTAINER – Start with a pot or a raised bed so you can control your soil and you know it’s good.
- SOIL – Get good organic soil. My favorite soil recipe is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite and 1/3 compost or buy a good organic soil from your local nursery.
- SEEDLINGS – Start with seedlings. You don’t have to delay your gratification and it makes understanding the needs of your garden easier in the beginning
- BE ARMED – At some point, you’re most likely going to run into problems with pests or fungust. Have a good organic solution on hand from your local nursery like Captain Jack’s spray.
- HAVE FUN! Enjoy it. Growing edibles is one of the most rewarding lifestyle choice you can make
Questions ? Post a comment below and we’ll get back to you ASAP.